It’s time to take back your healthy morning routine and enjoy your morning drink with a healthy twist. Read on to learn how to meal prep your own healthy turmeric latte mix!Jump to Recipe
Is a turmeric latte mix really healthy?
A classic turmeric latte mix contains 4 main ingredients, all of which are loaded with science-backed health and beauty benefits.
This yellow spice is packed compounds like bioactive curcumin, which is chalk full of scientifically proven medicinal benefits (1,2). Some of turmeric’s best qualities includes its antioxidants, anti-inflammatory, antiseptic, analgesic, and anti-carcinogenic properties. (1, 2, 3, 4, 5,).
As if turmeric wasn’t impressive enough, it can also help you achieve naturally glowing skin, as well as slow down the skin aging process.
According to a study, curcumin can play an important role in skin and wound healing by influencing collagen production. For a radiant complexion, it may be beneficial to do a turmeric face mask once per week.
In recent years, science has solidified what many cultures have known for years: ginger is one of the most beneficial spices to include in a healthy diet. Like turmeric, ginger also contains powerful bioactive compounds like, gingerol. The science tells us that gingerol is both anti-inflammatory and an antioxidant (1).
Ginger can help ease common digestive discomforts, like nausea, as well as support a healthy blood sugar balance (1,2). Because it’s anti-inflammatory, ginger can also alleviate muscle pain and soreness, and can help ease knee pain (1,2).
This superfood is prized for having both practical and medicinal benefits. One of the most popular practical uses for cinnamon includes treating bad breath (1). Many people simply enjoy cinnamon as an alternative to sugar-packed sweeteners. In regard to medicinal benefits, cinnamon can also help support a healthy blood sugar balance and support insulin sensitivity (1,2). Strengthening overall heart health is another perk of consuming cinnamon as it is known to reduce triglycerides and the “bad” cholesterol (LDL) levels while simultaneously maintaining “good” cholesterol (HDL) (1).
Ground Black Pepper
This kitchen-staple does much more than add a kick of flavor to otherwise bland dishes. It has tons of antioxidant properties which are not only great for digestion, but also help protect our skin from free radicals and everyday pollution—both of which are terrible for our bodies and healthy skin goals! (1) It’s bioactive compound, piperine, has anti-inflammatory properties that can help ease conditions like joint pain and seasonal allergies (1,2).Jump to Recipe
Why you should make your turmeric latte mix at home
- Plain and simple, ‘healthy’ drinks are expensive (north of $5 per serving), not to mention the added expense for substituting traditional add-ons for premium ingredients like nut milks, natural sweeteners, etc. into your drink! My turmeric latte mix will run you an estimated $1 apiece. Not to mention, you most likely already have the main ingredients in your kitchen.
- My healthy and creamy turmeric latte mix recipe will cut your latte prep routine in half! Think of this turmeric latte mix as a coffee meal prep if you will. Each morning, all you will have to do is add a splash hot or cold milk (oat milk is my favorite for creating a creamy consistency), your choice of sweetener, and your prepped turmeric latte mix. Plus, you get to customize your drink exactly to your liking without having to pay extra.
- Finally, latte mixes make a great gift for any casual occasion! Pack that latte mix into a cute mason jar, tie a festive bow, and you will have yourself a charming homemade gift.
Some notes on the ingredients:
- If the black pepper is a deal breaker, another alternative is to use a hint of oil once you are preparing your latte. Because turmeric is fat-soluble, oil can help optimize absorption and retention of curcumin. For most of you, your milk of choice will already contain some sort of fat which should work perfectly. If you are using a non-fat milk or creamer, I recommend adding a ¼ tsp of your oil of choice (I like olive or MCT oil) or drinking your latte with your fish oil supplement.
- Consider shopping on Amazon which offers a variety of options for high-quality ground turmeric.
Easy & Healthy Turmeric Latte Mix
- 5 tbsp 100% ground turmeric
- 1 tbsp Ground cinnamon
- 3 tsp Ground ginger
- 1 tsp Black pepper freshly ground
- Gently mix all ingredients in a small bowl. Store in an air-tight container or mason jar with a lid for later use.
To prepare a turmeric latte:
- In a medium saucepan, bring ½ cup of water to a boil.
- Combine 1 tsp of your turmeric latte mix and 1 cup of your milk of choice (for a creamy consistency, I like Califa Farms Oat Milk) over medium heat. Whisk to combine and bring to a simmer (or until mixture begins to steam).
- Pour into a heat-safe jar and add your choice of sweetener (I recommend a spoonful of raw honey). Chef’s kiss!
Gaby Vaca-Flores is a Registered Dietitian Nutritionist based in Santa Monica, CA. In merging her passions for nutrition and skin, Gaby created Glow+Greens to provide her readers with science-backed education + digestible wellness tips.